Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Week 5 Recap.




I'm going to be honest guys, I went to the Raiders game on Sunday and because of that I didn't really get to see any of the other games this week.  So I can't really talk about the week that was had in the NFL, aside from that game.  I do think that it seems like what we expected at the start of this year is finally starting to show itself.  Stars are being stars and bums are being bums.

But are the Falcons really that good?  Or is this like the year they went 6-0 only to miss the playoffs?

Is Brian Hoyer actually showing that his skills exist or is it just that no team really plans for the Bears? Will Jay Cutler actually show up again?

Are the 49ers gonna win a game with Kap?  Or is it all in their search for the #1 overall draft pick?

So anyway, I figure if I can tell a story I should, so I'll indulge myself and tell you all about the game experience heading into the black hole with a 64 year-old man that goes only by "Captain Bull" (I swear it).

The travel started early at 6am, much before I like to actually be awake.  After working until midnight the night before I sleepily made the drive down to Fairfield to pick up Captain Bull and make my way to the Amtrak station.  I was decked out in all the Raiders gear I could find in my apartment, and Captain Bull was wearing an ancient Raiders Super Bowl sweater and Raiders pajama pants.  We struck up conversation with a Cowboys fan awaiting the Amtrak to head for work who quickly made sure we understood that no matter how good our team was, Dak alone was the best thing to happen to football.  We heeded these words and made our way to the stadium.

Once we arrived at the concrete jungle we Raiders fans lovingly refer to as home (for now :( ) we set off in our journey to get as many free drinks as we could from tailgaters, as we had a good three hours to kill.  Now Captain Bull is a charismatic man, at about 6'0" and 350 lbs, a gnarly beard, and Raiders pajama pants, he is hard to miss.  We used this to our advantage as we went through the trenches, stopping at every table that had a full bar.  Now we would stop by these tables and then Captain Bull would talk to whoever was closest to each table and tell them of the game he went to and how Daryle Lamonica led the Raiders to a win in the last game he had been able to attend at the Coliseum.  The story involved a comeback that made it's way off television now colloquially referred to as the "Heidi Bowl."  This story ends in a Raiders win against the mighty Joe Namath, so it's a good story for all of us fans involved, which gave Captain Bull the perfect opportunity to insist that we toast to the memory.


  Much to my surprise this insistence actually led to us drinking a lot early in the morning as almost every tailgater loved the story and would either take shots with us or pour us a drink and laugh as we left.  I'd say we had at least 6-10 shots before the two hours we had to wait were up.


After enjoying ourselves in what Captain Bull referred to as a "festival of Raiders," we made our way into the stadium.  Now I've been to many NFL games, but before this every single one was at Candlestick Park.  O.Co may not be perfect, but this was as easy a process as I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy.  The security was there but they let Captain Bull and I through with a flask that we actually showed them beforehand.  The lines were long but moved swiftly.  We had luxury seating way up in the nose bleeds with a cocktail bar right below us, one in which the bartender poured two full shots in every drink.  Everyone there was truly partying, and the energy in the air was electric. Now when I heard we would be sitting on the third deck I was worried that we would be so far removed from the action that I'd hardly feel like I was at a game.  That wasn't true at all, in fact the seats were amazingly easy to see from.


I won't bore you all anymore by describing the game in detail, as I'm sure if you were interested in that you would have watched it on TV.  While I'm uncertain if it's due to my fandom of the Raiders, or just them being good this year, I am completely certain that the energy in O.Co for this Chargers game was something else.  During every Raiders defensive stand the whole crowd was on their feet. During the Coop touchdown the place was louder than anywhere I've ever been.  At one point there was a troop of blue angels that flew above the stadium, and you couldn't hear them over the crowd.  It was wonderful.

POWER RANKINGS





2016 Power Ranking: Week 5

Rank Team / Record Trending Comments
1
5-0
--
Last Week: 2nd
As much as I want to, I can no longer deny you this spot. #1 in points for and unbeaten. What I can deny you is full confidence that this means the season is already a win for you. We've seen this before, hell I think you've seen it before. I remember Matt during Manning's 2014 run, just dominant for most of the season. But when the playoffs came...
2
3-2
--
Last Week 1st
Dropped a game and dropped to second in points for. But when you were at the top there's no where to go but down. I think you've had some positives show up week 5 though. You know that David Johnson can still put up points even with Stanton behind center, and that's a nice thought.
3
4-1
--
Last Week: 3rd
I'm trying to remember a year where your team didn't look strong at some point, and honestly I can't. But then I'm also trying to remember a year where your team looked strong at every point, and honestly I can't.
4
2-3
--
Last Week: 9th
Last week got you a win, and also catapulted you over most other teams for the points for tie-breaker. I don't like you sitting in my division with that sort of game out of nowhere.
5
2-3
--
Last Week: 5th
I'm gonna leave you here, you lost without your best player and still managed to keep up with the points for. Not a terrible loss, and maybe Odell starts showing up again? We will see.
6
3-2
--
Last Week: 4th
I was thinking about dropping you a bit further, but luckily for you your record is going to hold your head above water for now.
7
2-3
--
Last Week: 6th
You got dropped after a win, and sometimes that's just the way it goes. You did beat the guy ahead of you (and personally I thank you for that), but 112 points won't always do. Hyde however is really being a consistent guy for you.
8
4-1
--
Last Week: 7th
You've only lost 1 game? Like for reals? Dude, I want to move you higher but you're team is only at 641 points. That's only 1 better than me and I'm 1-4. You best thank your lucky stars bud.
9
3-2
--
Last Week: 8th
Well, you got beat by a good team. Your record is good so that's a start, but I'd start thinking about picking up the points for pace if I were you.
10
1-4
--
Last Week: 11th
That's what winning feels like. I can put myself here and not feel awful about it! 8th in points for, and only one less point than the 4-1 Yaro. Lordy.
11
1-4
--
Last Week: 10th
I'll be nice here and say it's probably just Eli's fault.
12
0-5
--
Last Week: 12th
You aren't out of the running yet, but I'll be honest I don't know what I'd do with your team.



ORY'S GAME OF THE WEEK!

Game of the WEAK

 My how the mighty have fallen… 2 years since they met each other in the championship game Jared (Dog don’t mind) and Nic (The black stars) met again. This time both 0-4 and both in need of a W.


With Tom Brady back under center Jared thought he had a chance. In a pre-game chat he was heard say “ I got this, Brady is back so I'm going to ride him like Giselle and get that win.” Nic was even more confident saying “Jared Grube, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!”

Brady started hot and stayed hot throwing for 400 yards and 3 TD’s… Unfortunately Bradys big game was not enough to get the win as the black stars CRUSHED Dog Don’t mind 106-160. Nic’s Team easily overpowered him behind the arm of Carr and the legs of Elliot to win this years Toilet bowl. Congrats Nic. You’re 1-4 now.

No comments:

Post a Comment